WHAT DOES CONGRESS YOUTH DO?
We aim to protect the rights of young workers on a National level, through awareness of their legal entitlements in the workplace, and the promotion of Trade Union membership.
Congress Youth Committee aims to improve working conditions for young workers through their education and empowerment, and thus achieve active participation of youth in the trade union movement.
We believe that young people are better off in Trade Unions, because unions employ trained staff to advise members and provide them with support on an ongoing basis. This service is no less valuable than car or home insurance, as it exists to keep members safe just in case things go wrong.
We also encourage participation of young union members, as representatives and activists, as this is an opportunity to understand unions better as well as develop communication skills and invaluable contact with other colleagues within the Trade Union Movement.
WHY JOIN A TRADE UNION?
* Ensure your employment rights are upheld
* Protect your pay, terms and conditions
* Advice and guidance about your rights at work
* Have an influence on your working environment
* Most unions offer money-saving discounts e.g. car insurance
* You have a constitutional right to join a union regardless of your employment status
* You cannot be discriminated against for being a trade union member